Areas of Practice
- JD, University of Richmond, Richmond, VA
- BA, History, Davidson College, Davidson, NC
- NHTSA DUI Detection and Field Sobriety Testing, May 2013 Curriculum
- NHTSA Advanced Roadside Impaired Driving Enforcement, May 2013 Curriculum
- NHTSA DUI Detection and Field Sobriety Testing Instructor’s Course, May 2013 Curriculum
- South Carolina BAR
- North Carolina BAR
John C. Bateman is dedicated to defending clients accused of DUI. He is a founding member of the DUI Defense Lawyers Association and has been featured on WYFF4 and Fox Carolina.
John has been nominated and accepted to the Board of Directors for the DUI Defense Lawyers Association (DUIDLA), which is the preeminent association for DUI defense lawyers in the country. It is composed of the very top-tier lawyers from the United States, as well Canada. John is a founding member of this organization.
John C. Bateman is a former Army JAG prosecutor, with experience conducting court-martials at Fort Jackson. John was also sworn in as a Special Assistant United States Attorney and was tasked with trying civilian traffic offenses including DUI, DUS, and speeding tickets in federal district court.
John also served with the 95th Civil Affairs Brigade (Airborne), a subordinate unit of the United States Army Special Operations Command at Fort Bragg. Upon ending his active duty military career, he relocated to Greenville, South Carolina.
Since opening his own practice, John has aggressively fought to bring cutting edge DUI defense techniques to his clients. The National Highways Safety Administration publishes the curriculum for DUI enforcement training. John was certified as an instructor on the latest May 2013 NHTSA DUI enforcement curriculum before it was fully implemented by the South Carolina Department of Public Safety. So what does this mean? It means that in many circumstances, John has had more training in DUI enforcement than the arresting officer on a case, and he can bring that experience to his client’s defense.
John had the pleasure of instructing with nationally acclaimed DUI expert, Tony Palacios, in Atlanta, Georgia, where they taught the NHTSA DUI Detection Curriculum. This instruction is the only curriculum utilized nationwide by law enforcement for DUI detection. As NHTSA-certified instructors, John and Scotty have taught in numerous cities across the country.
John was recently made a board member of the DUI Defense Lawyers Association (DUIDLA) and attends national conferences held all over the United States. These seminars bring the top attorneys in the United States and Canada for several days of intensive training in trial preparation and execution, as well as instruction in DUI evidence collection and implementation.
In his free time, John enjoys board games, grilling out, and camping on the weekends with his wife, Eva, and their three children, Jack, Clark, and Hank.
Notable Training & Experience
- Joint Special Operations Legal Advisor’s Course, Eglin Air Force Base, Fort Walton Beach, FL
- Criminal Law Advocacy Course, The Judge Advocate General’s Legal Center and School, Charlottesville, VA
- Phoenix Group Advanced Negotiations and Mediation Course, Fayetteville, NC
- Prosecutor’s Boot Camp, National Advocacy Center, Columbia, SC
- Temple University Law School Semester in Tokyo
- Davidson College Reserve Officer Training Corps Scholarship Cadet
- Eagle Scout
- March of Dimes
- Meyers Center