How to Get a Restricted License After DUI License Suspension?

DUI penalties can seriously impact your lifestyle. Apart from the hefty fines, you also face the prospect of jail-time. In addition, you may have your license suspended for a period of few days to a few months or even more. DUI license suspension can be a major problem. With your license suspended, you can no longer drive to work or drop kids at school. This can seriously hamper your daily routine, forcing you to spend money on cabs.

The good news is that there are a number of workarounds to a DUI license suspension. You can apply for a number of restricted license types that you can use until your original license is reinstated. These include a Temporary Alcohol Restricted License (TARL), provisional license and a route restricted license. A DUI attorney can help you figure out your options.

Temporary Alcohol Restricted License

When you get a DUI citation, two things happen. Your driver’s license is suspended and you are charged with an offense that can lead to criminal charges. The criminal charges are handled by the court where you will have your hearing. It’s always a good idea to consult a DUI attorney before the hearing.

The license suspension, on the other hand, is a Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) matter. You can challenge DUI license suspension and request an administrative hearing of the issue. In South Carolina, the request must be directed at the Office of Motor Vehicle Hearings (OMVH). You must also pay a $200 fee for the hearing.

In response to your request, you receive a Notice of Hearing from OMVH. In this notice, you are intimated about the date of the administrative hearing. It is at this hearing that a definite decision is taken about your license suspension.

In the meantime, you can use the Notice of Heating to obtain a Temporary Alcohol Restricted License (TARL) at your local DMV office. You will need to pay an extra $100 to get a TARL. A TARL lets you drive lawfully while your original license is suspended. You can use the TARL for up to six months as an alternative to your driver’s license.

Provisional License

If you’ve been booked for a first DUI offense and found guilty, you can apply for a provisional driver’s license. A provisional driver’s license enables you to legally drive your car and go about your daily tasks. You can use a provisional license as long as your original license is suspended.

In order to qualify for a provisional license, you must enroll in the Alcohol and Drug Safety Action Program (ADSAP). You also need to obtain an SR-22 insurance certificate from your insurer. The certificate is then appended to an application for the provisional license. You are required to pay a $100 fee for the license.

Once your original driver’s license is reinstated, you must pay an additional $100 as reinstatement fee. However, you must have completed the ADSAP program before you can apply for license reinstatement.

Route Restricted License

If you’ve been booked for a second or subsequent DUI, you can’t apply for a provisional license. But you still need to be able to drive to work or school and perform other daily chores on your car. This is where a route restricted license is a viable option.

A route restricted license allows you to drive a non-commercial vehicle for specific activities. These activities may include driving to and from work, school, a rehab program or an ADSAP. Despite being quite limited, such a license lets you carry on the essential tasks that require a vehicle.

You can apply for a route restricted license only once for charges related to a DUI offense. You must submit Form DL-127 to your local DMV office as a part of application for the license. In this form, you are required to provide your routine routes of commute. These are the places you are allowed to drive to and from once you get the restricted license. The fee for a route restricted license is $100 and it remains valid for the full duration of DUI license suspension.

How Can a Spartanburg, SC DUI Lawyer Help You?

After you get a DUI citation and have your license suspended, you may qualify for various temporary licenses. A Spartanburg, SC DUI attorney can help you explore your options and apply for a temporary license as soon as possible. This helps you continue your daily life without disruption to your work or family routine.

Finding a Spartanburg, SC DUI Attorney for DUI License Suspension

Here at The Bateman Firm, we work with you to get you a restricted license after a DUI license suspension. We understand that being able to legally drive your car is vitally important for your day-to-day life. This is why we work on an urgent basis to obtain an alternative to your suspended license. Contact us today for a free consultation and discuss the temporary license options available to you.